Table of Contents
Have you ever wondered how often you look for a trending social media platform? Maybe you missed your chance to jump on it and don’t want to make mistakes again. Here are social media trends to watch for 2022.
Recent Social Media Trends In Marketing
Let’s face it, the pandemic has changed how we socialize entirely. It’s no surprise that the jarring halt of in-person socializing would change how we interact with social media. We’ve had to get creative and learn to adapt to the new social distancing and zoom hangouts that the pandemic has brought us.
5 Social Media Trends in 2022 To Keep An Eye On
It’s no surprise that the hottest new social media trends in marketing are video and audio-based. Recent social media trends in marketing show that users demand more engaging experiences. Video and audio-based content can provide that.
If you’ve heard of or used Twitch, you probably associate it with the gaming community. Twitch is a live streaming platform where players can record playing popular games like Fortnite, RocketLeague, and Minecraft. You can also find videos and live streams on cooking, music, and interactive live shows. Some creators offer exclusive content to those who choose a paid subscription plan. The audience for Twitch is younger, with 70% of its viewers between 16 and 34 years old. Similar to influencers on other platforms, streamers can make a living on Twitch through subscriptions, ads, and donations.
In 2018 a popular app known as Musical.ly merged with a similar app called TikTok. Today, it is the most popular app for social media platforms and is expected to reach 1.5 billion users in 2022.
Do you remember Vine? TikTok is the shinier Vine.
Like Vine, TikTok allows you to film short videos that play on a repetitive loop. The app also allows you to add fun effects like AR filters, text, stickers, and musical overlays. Like other video platforms, it has been primarily adopted by users under 30 years old. Here are some additional quick facts about TikTok’s demographics.
- 41% of TikTok users are between the ages of 16 and 24
- 53% of TikTok users are male and 47% are female
- 90% of TikTok users visit the app more than once per day
The ultimate conversation app. Discord operates on servers. These community groups allow video, audio, and text chatting. Every user can build their own server or join one that another member has created.
Discord is a popular favorite for gamers looking to stream games and connect with a broader gaming community.
While this platform currently does not offer to advertise, brands have been successful with an organic presence on Discord. The community-based servers allow brands to engage with their audience and allow you to build brand loyalty and trust. It is a bit untraditional for social media marketing, but if you are willing to put in the time, Discord is worth it.
Recent social media trends in marketing have shown us that short-form videos dominate any other content form. Reels is now a direct competitor with the ever-popular TikTok, which also offers similar video creation capabilities. Instagram Reels allows users to create videos with special effects, music, transitions, and music too!
How to Make Reels Work for Your Business
Before you get started, ask yourself, “How can reels work for your business?” Viewers are looking for an honest look into your brand and reels can help showcase your brand’s personality. Sharing behind-the-scenes content, product launches, and tutorials can be a highly engaging experience for your followers. With reels you no longer have to rely on fancy camera equipment to show your followers what your brand is all about.
Twitter Spaces is a new beta feature that allows you to listen to live audio conversations — think of a live podcast, but anyone can join in on the conversation. This platform, allows for open, authentic, and unfiltered conversations. It’s great for hosting live chats or hosting guest speakers to uplift your profile and its content. Twitter believes “Spaces is a new way to have live audio conversations on Twitter.”
Twitter Spaces also gives marketers an opportunity to bounce ideas off each other, host a focus group, or get ideas on how to solve customer problems. Additionally, the platform is beneficial for hosting live discussions, training sessions, and customer Q&As for your business.
Live Streaming On Instagram
Live streaming has also become quite popular since March of 2020. According to an article written by Earthweb, Instagram recorded a 70% increase in live video streaming during March of 2020. If that isn’t enough to convince you of implementing live streaming into your 2022 strategy, here are a few other Instagram Live statistics you should consider:
- 80% of audiences would rather watch a live stream than read a blog post. Based on the social media surveys, 80 percent of people prefer to watch a live stream video rather than reading a blog post. Instagram launched its live video setup in Nov 2016, so it’s time to jump on the bandwagon!
- 25% of Gen Zs and Millennials watch live streaming on Instagram. It’s no secret that Instagram, along with TikTok, is used by younger audiences. According to the stats, 71% of Instagram followers are between the ages of 18-29. If you are trying to market your products or services to these two generations, then Instagram Live is where you want to be!
- 28% of Instagram live video investments come from digital creators in their 2020 marketing strategy. Digital creators are trying to discover innovative methods for promoting brand marketing content. According to the stats, 66 percent of live video investments are made on Instagram Stories and 62 percent on newsfeed videos.
Again, the priority changes with B2B and B2C marketers. For B2B, Instagram Stories are vital, and newsfeed comes second. Whereas, for B2C, the news feed is important.
Creating A Strong Social Media Marketing Strategy In 2022
As all marketers know, moving into a new platform will always require a testing period. While it is good to keep your eye out for any upcoming social media platforms, you want to make sure that you have the time to invest in a new platform before jumping into a new one.
Before you create some experimental posts on a new social platform, ask yourself or your team the following questions:
- What are its active user numbers? The larger number of users means that the platform is gaining momentum and will only increase your chances of reaching a larger audience base
- Are publications or thought leaders talking about it? If a platform doesn’t provide the specific number of users it currently has, do some research to see who is talking about it. Are there prominent figures or news publications discussing it?
- Do older platforms have a similar tool and a bigger user base? If an older platform does the same thing, people might hesitate to adopt a newer platform with similar functions since they are already comfortable and familiar with it.
- Will my audiences understand how to use the platform? It all comes down to who your audience is. For example, if your target audience is older, then Facebook or Twitter might be easier for them to learn rather than Tiktok or Snapchat.
- Will audiences even be interested in the platform? This again comes down to who your target audience is. It’s important to research demographic information to see which platforms catch which age groups’ attention.
- What type of content or post could we use to promote our brand on the platform? You should have a plan going into a new platform. Brainstorm ideas on how to showcase what makes your company or product unique.
Always experiment with several different types of posts. In the beginning, especially starting off on a niche platform, it’s always unclear what will become popular. Give yourself a dedicated experimental period to really understand what these users are looking for.
Work With Northwest Media Collective
Social Media trends can change quickly, and it can be difficult to stay on top of your strategy or your content. If you want to stay in the know but could use some assistance, reach out to us for a free consultation.